You’ll be required to register in our HR portal if you haven’t already done so.
This role is with the Internal Market Monitoring department at ISO New England. The department is responsible for evaluating the competitive operation of the wholesale electricity market, with the mission of protecting the buyers and sellers that compete in our market.
The role entails monitoring market outcomes and participant behavior, and conducting in-depth empirical analysis of market performance and efficiency. You will apply economic principles to practical and challenging electricity market issues. In this role, you will work with large and complex data, and develop a detailed understanding of wholesale electricity market mechanics and the interactions between the various components of the market.
Conduct continuous market surveillance
- Track and trend market outcomes, identify and explain trends and outliers
- Develop and run screening tools to identify market performance issues, non-compliance with market rules and uncompetitive or manipulative behavior
- Identify and source relevant data through research and proactive engagement with colleagues in the department and across the company
- Build data queries and analysis in SAS Enterprise Guide
Scope, develop and implement analyses projects
- Conduct empirical analysis of market performance, market efficiency and of the behavior of buyers and sellers
- Analyze current and new market rules changes, pre- and post implementation, and recommend any changes to rules that will enhance market efficiency
Report on the performance of the market
- Coordinate and prepare technical content and analyses suitable for industry executives, Board members, as well as state and federal regulators
- Collaborate on the authoring of annual and quarterly market performance reports
- Present complex and technical content to a diverse audience through written reports and presentations
Investigate uncompetitive and non-compliant behavior
- Identify market outcomes and market participant behavior that warrants further investigation and analysis
- Conduct investigations and make referrals to the federal energy regulator
- Masters Degree in Economics or Finance, preferably in Applied Microeconomics
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate complex findings and ideas, in plain language, at an executive, board member or regulator level
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Experience working with very large data sets, econometrics, computer modeling and analysis of electric market performance
- Strong quantitative skills with strong emphasis on analysis using SAS or similar programming languag
- Ability to conduct forensic-like investigations of market outcomes and participant behavior using data-analysis tools and methods
- Ability to change direction quickly in response to changing information, priorities, policies, rules or the results of an analysis
- Proactively seek clarification of requirements and direction; take responsibility when needed
- Able to work in challenging situations
Location and Benefits
ISO New England is located in Holyoke, MA. The company provides a base salary plus bonus, competitive Medical and Dental plan, paid vacation, 401k with company match, retirement plan and more. All benefits start on your first day.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer. Applicants for employment are considered without regard to race, creed, color, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, disability, status as a veteran, Vietnam Era Veteran, or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Social Networking Notice
ISO New England reserves the right to review the candidate's postings on any social networking site accessible in the public domain as part of the candidate assessment process.