The ISO administers the complex process for adding new power plants, power plant upgrades, and transmission upgrades to the tightly interconnected regional power system. Through extensive engineering studies, we determine whether such interconnections would be feasible without adversely affecting reliability and how they should be accomplished.
Interconnection Agreements and Information
Below, you can access information and materials related to connecting new generators or modifying existing generators in New England. Documents types include:
- Large generator interconnection materials—agreements and information related to interconnection request for generating facilities that will be larger than 20 MW after construction or modification
- Small generator interconnection materials—agreements and information related to interconnection requests for generating facilities that are no larger than 20 MW
Submit an Elective Transmission Upgrade (ETU) Interconnection Request
To interconnect a new Elective Transmission Upgrade or to modify an existing merchant transmission facility (MTF), pool transmission facility (PTF), or other transmission facility (OTF):
- See Schedule 25 Elective Transmission Upgrade Interconnection Procedures of the Open Access Transmission Tariff (OATT).
- Complete and submit the Elective Transmission Upgrade Interconnection Request.
Submit a Generator Interconnection Request
To interconnect a new generator or modify an existing generator:
- Read the document Interconnection Requirements, and see Schedule 22: Standardized Large Generator Interconnection Procedures and Schedule 23: Standardized Small Generator Interconnection Procedures of Section II of the ISO Tariff (the Open Access Transmission Tariff).
- Use the Interconnection Request Tracking Tool (IRTT), a web-based application, to submit requests to interconnect proposed generators or upgrades.
- Customers can register for an account on the IRTT page.
- If you aren’t an ISO customer yet, please see the New Customer Registration page for guidance on establishing a relationship with the ISO.
If the IRTT is down, submit the appropriate form:
Track Generator Interconnection Requests
- Use the IRTT to track your request to interconnect a proposed generator or upgrade.
- Status reports for current projects are published below. You can also view the IRTT public queue. (Log in not necessary.)